hostap 0.4.7 with the 2.6.17 kernel

Pavel Roskin proski at gnu.org
Thu Jul 27 18:20:10 EDT 2006

Hi Jouni,

On Tue, 2006-07-25 at 21:39 -0700, Jouni Malinen wrote:
> Is that removing 'modules' target on purpose? Is that really supposed to
> work?

No, it's an artifact of quoting.  What's needed is to remove MODVERDIR.

> I don't know whether making a new release of the external driver would
> really help much with this. If people are still trying to use the
> external driver tree even though the driver has been in the kernel tree
> for quite some time, I would be willing to just give up and let them be
> bitten with this kind of issues if kernel makefiles are being modified
> to destroy files.. To be honest, I don't really have much interest in
> making external releases anymore unless a critical issue is found in the
> 0.4.7 code.

Which PCMCIA API changing radically almost in every new kernel,
releasing another external release would be a problem even if a critical
issue _is_ found.  Either you include PCMCIA drivers for several recent
2.6 kernels and 2.4.x (good luck), or you'll get tons of complaints that
the new driver doesn't compile.

I think the easiest approach would be to drop 2.6 support from the CVS
hostap driver and move all driver-related stuff from
http://hostap.epitest.fi/ to a separate page with a big warning that
standalone hostap should only be used with 2.6 kernels.  Just write that
the driver tends to be suicidal on 2.6 kernels :-)

Once it's done, you can release critical fixes for 2.4 kernels and send
patches to the netdev folks for 2.6.x and 2.6.x.y series.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin