Building a Visual Studio Release wpa_supplicant.exe 0.5.4 (for Windows)

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Sat Jul 22 14:35:56 EDT 2006

On Tue, Jul 18, 2006 at 07:43:54AM -0700, George S. Lockwood wrote:

> Anyone have trouble compiling and running a Release version wpa_supplicant
> for Windows??

The project files included in wpa_supplicant v0.5.4 did not include full
configuration for the Release|Win32 target. I fixed this now and the
current snapshot includes proper parameters for both Debug and Release
targets.

> I have been able to configure the Visual Studio 2005 project files to find
> openssl and wpdpack but to get it compile for a Release version, I had to
> add the preprocessor var: CONFIG_WIN32_DEFAULTS.

There are also couple of additional options that need to be set in the
project files (see the today's commit to CVS repository for details).

> However, the compile exe is only 916k compared to the downloaded binary of
> ~1200k.

The release binary is built with completely different compiler
(gcc/MinGW) and different libraries..

> The Release version ends (see below), but the same code built for Debug
> results in a connection / authentication.
>
> so I believe my Release project settings are off.  Could it be my libs? the
> code generation settings?  the addtion of CONFIG_WIN32_DEFAULTS??

I don't know why the Release version would behave differently. I just
copied the settings from the Debug configuration and was able to build
working wpa_supplicant.exe and wpasvc.exe with Release target.