Really poor range in AP mode

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Thu Jul 20 17:25:40 EDT 2006

I am somewhat at a loss on how to proceed.   I have a hostap - driven
wifi card (linksys WCF12) which works OK, but its range is very poor. In
managed mode, the card has poor but acceptable range - say 10 -15', not
great, but OK for a handheld.  In AP mode, the range is really really
bad - it can be measured in feet, sometimes in inches.  Right now, I
have to have AP and client < 1' apart - even the width of a desktop will
cause the connection to fail.

I am convinced this is a driver problem, but I have struck out
completely with google finding any guidance on how to proceed.

But I am open to any and all suggestions on how to fix this.  I need a
range of about 5 - 10' for my application.

--Yan