ioctl[...]: No such device

John - JohnRChamplin at columbus.rr.com
Sat Jul 8 18:11:48 EDT 2006

On (07/07/06 23:21), Pavel Roskin wrote:
> To: John - <JohnRChamplin at columbus.rr.com>
> From: Pavel Roskin <proski at gnu.org>
> Subject: Re: ioctl[...]: No such device
> Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2006 23:21:49 -0400
>
> On Fri, 2006-07-07 at 13:10 -0400, John - wrote:
> > root@~# pccardctl ident
> > Socket 1:
> >   product info: "IBM Corporation", "IBM High Rate Wireless LAN PC Card", "Ver
>
> Quick search on Google shows that this card uses Lucent firmware, so
> it's not compatible with hostap.  You need orinoco_cs driver.
>
> Unfortunately, orinoco driver doesn't support master mode or WPA yet, so
> if you need it (as indicated by your attempts to install and run
> hostapd), you probably need different hardware (prism 2/2.5/3, prism54,
> atheros).

As your previous note suggested, I tried hostap_cs instead of _pci,
without success.

To complete the story, I recompiled the kernel, taking out hostap
modules and adding hermes/orinoco. And you are completely right; it
now runs fine, with pcmciautils; no need to go back to pcmcia-cs.

I had relied on Thinkwiki
(http://thinkwiki.org/wiki/Wireless_Network_Adapters#PC_Card_.28PCMCIA.29_adapters), quoting,

IBM High Rate Wireless LAN PC Card
Chipset: Prism 2.5
Drivers: orinoco_pci or hostap

My very positive experience with hostap on another ThinkPad led me to
choose hostap.  I should have read the fine print and noted the "2.5".

Pavel, I am really very grateful to you for hanging in and directing
me to the right answer -- on what turned out to be a simple matter,
perhaps, to you, but not to me.  Many thanks.

JohnRChamplin at columbus.rr.com
PGP key 1024D/99421A63 2005-01-05
EE51 79E9 F244 D734 A012 1CEC 7813 9FE9 9942 1A63
gpg --keyserver subkeys.pgp.net --recv-keys 99421A63