ioctl[...]: No such device

Pavel Roskin proski at gnu.org
Thu Jul 6 16:33:31 EDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-07-06 at 16:19 -0400, John - wrote:
> Please accept my apologies for what is probably a dumb newbie
> question, but I'm stumped.

I think you should describe just one problem, the one that happens
first.  In your case, it's probably bringing the interface up.  Try
using low-level commands first (ifconfig, iwconfig) and don't use WEP or
WPA if it's not needed to reproduce the problem.  ifup is a script that
may call ifconfig many times, which is why you are getting so many
messages.

Also, give more details.  Don't rephrase or shorten error messages.  If
the software doesn't behave the way it should, the messages are not
guaranteed to be pure truth.  Exact messages are required to pinpoint
their origins.  Besides, if you are "stumped", why should we trust your
interpretations of the messages and your interpretation of which of them
are important?

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin