Fwd: Segmentation Fault: madwifi and hostapd

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Sun Jan 29 19:25:44 EST 2006

On Sat, Jan 28, 2006 at 02:51:49PM -0800, Chad Meister wrote:

> After further investigation, I found that hostapd Seg
> faults at line 135 on of hostapd.c.  The line
> presumabably enters a log message and reads:
> vsyslog(priority, format, ap).  In this case:
> priority = 6
> format = 0x1004fdd8 "ath0: RADIUS %s server %s:%d"
> ap = {{gpr = 8 '\b', fpr = 0 '\0', overflow_arg_area =
> 0x7f8002e8, reg_save_area = 0x7f800230}}
>
> It then descends into libc.so.6 and gdb gives me the
> following lines:
> 0x0fd9489c in strlen () from /lib/libc.so.6

This sounds somewhat similar to an earlier report where C library code
was causing a segmentation fault when called from hostapd_logger(). I
have not been able to reproduce this and I don't know what could be
going wrong here.

Which Linux distribution and which glibc version are you using? Could
you please try running hostapd under valgrind? I'm assuming the data
above is from gdb. Could you send full backtrace ('bt') and then
function parameters by running 'up' couple of times?