wpa_supplicant: problems with EAP-SIM

Pete Young pete at alien.bt.co.uk
Thu Jan 26 11:08:04 EST 2006

Jouni Malinen wrote:

> That should have had 1 (hex 31) before the IMSI.

You're right.  Add the prefix 1 and wpa_supplicant will send a response,
but of course it is still not communicating with the SIM so when the
challenge is recieved the response to that is not correctly calculated.

> Anyway, your previous debug log was pointing out that there was a
> problem with PIN code used with the card. Please make sure that the PIN
> is configured correctly and also send a full debug log from the
> beginning of the wpa_supplicant run.

OK, I've tried it again with a couple of different SIMs, making sure
that the PIN was correct in each case. The debug log is included
below.

> Did you add PCSC code into the supplicant .config without possibly
> rebuilding everything? Running 'make clean; make' may be a good idea to
> make sure that everything is build with the same configuration.

I don't think so, but just to be on the safe side I have run
make clean; make  . During the compilation it was possible to see
pcsc_funcs.o being created and linked, and running ldd on the
binary shows that it is using /usr/local/lib/libpcsclite.so.1

Thanks once again for your help with this.

[root at client1 wpa_supplicant-0.4.7]# wpa_supplicant -dd -ieth0
-cwpa_supplicant.conf.eapsim
Initializing interface 'eth0' conf 'wpa_supplicant.conf.eapsim' driver
'default' ctrl_interface 'N/A'
Configuration file 'wpa_supplicant.conf.eapsim' ->
'/home/siteadm/wpa_supplicant-0.4.7/wpa_supplicant.conf.eapsim'
Reading configuration file
'/home/siteadm/wpa_supplicant-0.4.7/wpa_supplicant.conf.eapsim'
ctrl_interface='/var/run/wpa_supplicant'
ctrl_interface_group=10 (from group name 'wheel')
eapol_version=1
ap_scan=0
Line: 19 - start of a new network block
key_mgmt: 0x1
eap methods - hexdump(len=2): 12 00
pin - hexdump_ascii(len=4): [REMOVED]
pcsc - hexdump_ascii(len=0):
eapol_flags=0 (0x0)
Priority group 0
    id=0 ssid=''
Initializing interface (2) 'eth0'
EAPOL: SUPP_PAE entering state DISCONNECTED
EAPOL: KEY_RX entering state NO_KEY_RECEIVE
EAPOL: SUPP_BE entering state INITIALIZE
EAP: EAP entering state DISABLED
EAPOL: External notification - portEnabled=0
EAPOL: External notification - portValid=0
wpa_driver_wired_init: Added multicast membership with packet socket
Own MAC address: 00:30:1b:35:35:03
Setting scan request: 0 sec 100000 usec
Added interface eth0
EAPOL: External notification - portControl=Auto
Already associated with a configured network - generating associated event
Association info event
State: DISCONNECTED -> ASSOCIATED
Associated to a new BSS: BSSID=01:80:c2:00:00:03
No keys have been configured - skip key clearing
Network configuration found for the current AP
WPA: No WPA/RSN IE available from association info
WPA: Set cipher suites based on configuration
WPA: Selected cipher suites: group 30 pairwise 24 key_mgmt 1
WPA: clearing AP WPA IE
WPA: clearing AP RSN IE
WPA: using GTK CCMP
WPA: using PTK CCMP
WPA: using KEY_MGMT 802.1X
WPA: Set own WPA IE default - hexdump(len=22): 30 14 01 00 00 0f ac 04
01 00 00
0f ac 04 01 00 00 0f ac 01 00 00
EAPOL: External notification - portControl=Auto
Associated with 01:80:c2:00:00:03
WPA: Association event - clear replay counter
EAPOL: External notification - portEnabled=0
EAPOL: External notification - portValid=0
EAPOL: External notification - portEnabled=1
EAPOL: SUPP_PAE entering state CONNECTING
EAPOL: SUPP_BE entering state IDLE
EAP: EAP entering state INITIALIZE
EAP: EAP entering state IDLE
EAPOL: startWhen --> 0
EAPOL: SUPP_PAE entering state CONNECTING
EAPOL: txStart
TX EAPOL - hexdump(len=4): 01 01 00 00
RX EAPOL from 00:13:1a:c0:5c:01
RX EAPOL - hexdump(len=46): 01 00 00 05 01 00 00 05 01 00 00 00 00 00 00
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
00 00
EAPOL: Received EAP-Packet frame
EAPOL: SUPP_PAE entering state RESTART
EAP: EAP entering state INITIALIZE
EAP: EAP entering state IDLE
EAPOL: SUPP_PAE entering state AUTHENTICATING
EAPOL: SUPP_BE entering state REQUEST
EAPOL: getSuppRsp
EAP: EAP entering state RECEIVED
EAP: Received EAP-Request method=1 id=0
EAP: EAP entering state IDENTITY
CTRL-EVENT-EAP-STARTED EAP authentication started
EAP: EAP-Request Identity data - hexdump_ascii(len=0):
EAP: using real identity - hexdump_ascii(len=0):
EAP: buildIdentity: identity configuration was not available
PIN validation failed
CTRL-REQ-PIN-0:PIN needed for SSID
EAP: EAP entering state SEND_RESPONSE
EAP: EAP entering state IDLE