no success with wpa_supplicant 0.4.7, ipw2100 and WRK54G

Holger Schurig hs4233 at mail.mn-solutions.de
Tue Jan 24 02:38:12 EST 2006

On Tuesday 24 January 2006 00:41, Yann Rouillard wrote:
> Trying to associate with 00:12:17:41:bd:cf (SSID='pleiades' freq=0 MHz)

0 MHz?  It's unrelated to your problem.

> WPA: Key negotiation completed with 00:12:17:41:bd:cf [PTK=TKIP GTK=TKIP]

This means that after the 4-Way-Handshake (from "State: ASSOCIATED ->
4WAY_HANDSHAKE" to "State: 4WAY_HANDSHAKE -> GROUP_HANDSHAKE") the Access
Point installed a key in your client. And that seemed to succeed.

> Cancelling authentication timeout
> State: GROUP_HANDSHAKE -> COMPLETED
> CTRL-EVENT-CONNECTED - Connection to 00:12:17:41:bd:cf completed (auth)
> EAPOL: External notification - portValid=1
> EAPOL: External notification - EAP success=1
> EAPOL: SUPP_PAE entering state AUTHENTICATING
> EAPOL: SUPP_BE entering state SUCCESS
> EAP: EAP entering state DISABLED
> EAPOL: SUPP_PAE entering state AUTHENTICATED
> EAPOL: SUPP_BE entering state IDLE

This just means that the internal state machines of wpa_supplicant went back
to their idle state. It means that all is well and that you're connected.

> RX EAPOL from 00:12:17:41:bd:cf

Now the AP sends you another key data. Unfortunately you didn't create the
dump with the "-t" switch, so I cannot see the delay between those two
events. But it looks ok, because this received EAPOL data is just another
group key, which get's installed:

> WPA: Group rekeying completed with 00:12:17:41:bd:cf [GTK=TKIP]
> State: GROUP_HANDSHAKE -> COMPLETED

So, all of that looked pretty normal and correct.

At this time something kills wpa_supplicant, e.g. by pressing Ctrl-C:

> CTRL-EVENT-TERMINATING - signal 2 received
> Removing interface eth1
> State: COMPLETED -> DISCONNECTED

wpa_supplicant terminates and by doing so it does the equivalent of "ifconfig
eth1 down". If you intent to use your WPA connection, you need to keep
wpa_supplicant during the whole time, e.g. by using the -B switch.