wpa_gui

Olivier Blin oblin at mandriva.com
Mon Jan 16 18:10:24 EST 2006

"Richard W. Knight" <rick_knight at rlknight.com> writes:

> Thanks for your reply. The problem is, I don't want the wireless
> connection to be made whenever it's available. Sometimes I need to be
> wired. I would like a way to easily connect the wireless connection when
> I'm not wired but to ignore the same connection when I am wired. I
> thought it would be easy to have the wpa_supplicant running as adaemon,
> but not connecting until I choose to connect and then have whatever is
> making the connection, also get the address via dhcp.
>
> Any other suggestions? or am I just missing something.

You can have both wireless and wired connections up at the same time
(with multiple default routes), and use a higher metric for your
wireless default route.
That's what we use in Mandriva. The wired and wireless interfaces are
both handled by ifplugd, and the metrics are modified thanks to
ifmetric (it's just about applying configuration settings with the
ifup script).

Regards

--
Olivier Blin - Mandriva