EAPOL-Key timeouts in 1/4 msg of 4-Way Handshake

Nicolas Zin n.zin at restosducoeur.asso.fr
Wed Feb 22 10:11:14 EST 2006

Hi folks,

I saw some people had the same problem long time ago, I try to setup a
WPA-PSK hostapd.
I have an athereos, with madwifi, and compile hostapd.
I tried several madwifi packages, and hostapd-0.4.8 and hostapd-0.5.1
without success. I still get a EAPOL-Key timeouts in 1/4 msg of 4-Way
Handshake.
I tried 2 different wifi supplicant in the form of 2 USB key under
windows XP, and still fails. What is the problem?
I have to add that
- I succeed into mounting a WEP hostap (128 bits just with madwifi
drivers), so this is should not be an hardware problem.
- I don't use external RADIUS server.

I have few more precise questions:
- where is located the problem? hostapd or madwifi? I don't understand
what is responsible for in a WAP-PSK scenario.
- what does this EAPOL message means?

My hostapd.conf is:
interface=ath0
driver=madwifi
logger_syslog=-1
logger_syslog_level=2
logger_stdout=-1
logger_stdout_level=10
debug=0
dump_file=/tmp/hostapd.dump
ctrl_interface=/var/run/hostapd
ctrl_interface_group=0
ssid=RESTOS_SSID2
macaddr_acl=0
deny_mac_file=/etc/hostapd.deny
auth_algs=3
eap_server=0
eapol_key_index_workaround=0
use_pae_group_addr=1
wpa=3
wpa_psk=c9895bd7366c57bf44830195ab90ca95739ee4c909d38631853d23a8f212d9eb
wpa_key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
wpa_pairwise=TKIP CCMP
wpa_group_rekey=600
wpa_gmk_rekey=86400