Encryption without authentication?

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Mon Feb 20 12:02:03 EST 2006

On Mon, Feb 20, 2006 at 10:53:33AM -0600, Philip M. White wrote:
> > On Sun, 2006-02-19 at 00:28 -0600, Philip M. White wrote:
> > > Is there a way to retain the benefits of CCMP/TKIP without having to
> > > configure each client with credentials?

> I chose PEAP because it allows me to specify a trivial password such as
> the house number instead of long arbitrary strings such as WEP or PSK
> keys.
>
> My goal is for any user to be able to log on to the network without
> knowing any special piece of data.

In that case, I don't really understand what you are referring to with
"benefits of CCMP/TKIP".. If you want to provide anyone access to the
network and do not want to have any pre-shared secret (or public crypto
for that matter), what would you like to get from CCMP/TKIP that
unencrypted open network does not provide?