wpa supplicant and ipw (and wext) driver with wpa/tkip

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Mon Feb 6 21:39:33 EST 2006

On Mon, Feb 06, 2006 at 10:24:15PM +0100, Nicolas Guillot wrote:

> I possess a M6N notebook with a centrino processor. My access point is
> provided by my ISP, I can only set the key (it has a longer of 26 hexa
> character) and choose if I want enable encryption. I success to establish the
> connection with MS Windows and ipw2200 driver, this one say to me that I use
> a wpa TKIP protocol. My distribution is an Kubuntu, and I try with different
> version of wpasupplicant and ipw2200 and kernel.

Which ISP is this? Wanadoo? Do you know the vendor and model number of
the AP? Google search for "wanadoo tkip group cipher" will likely get
you to couple of threads on this particular issue.. Short summary: It
looks like the AP is broken. It is reporting TKIP as the group cipher,
but the key length for TKIP is set to 13 which would match with
WEP-104..

> WPA: Unsupported TKIP Group Cipher key length 13 (13).

This is just not supposed to happen in WPA. It is possible to make
wpa_supplicant ignore this, but receiving broadcast/multicast frames may
not work with that AP. I don't have access to any of APs behaving in
this way, so I have been unable to create a tested workaround for this.