wpa_supplicant in ad hoc mode

Benoit PAPILLAULT benoit.papillault at free.fr
Wed Dec 27 15:20:24 EST 2006

Jouni Malinen wrote:

> This would a question to madwifi mailing list.. wpa_supplicant does not
> really do more than just configure a key to the driver in WPA-None mode
> and that's it.. The driver will need to take care of everything else in
> this case. WPA-None mode has enough issues to make it difficult to find
> someone who would be interested in actually using time to mkae it work,
> though.. Adding support for IEEE 802.11i (WPA2) IBSS could be more
> worthwhile target for efforts.

Hi there,

I'm interested in using 802.11i in IBSS mode as well. I tried WPA-None
on Linux and got nowhere and probably most people here. I've seen that
WPA-None has been removed in the latest Windows SP2 patch (the patch
needed to get WPA2 working). As such, i agree with Jouni that there's
not much point in working on WPA-None. Beside it's not standard.

Jouni : since you are the most experienced on this subject, what effort
would be involved in implementing 802.11i in IBSS mode? I'll be happy to
contribute, except i'm not a security expert.

Best regards,
Benoit