Manfid typographical error in hostap_cs.c for Dlink dwl-650p?

Jar jar at pcuf.fi
Sun Dec 24 07:07:24 EST 2006

re2823 at Safe-mail.net wrote:
> I _think_ the pcmcia socket driver is started, as I can see Yenta
> entries in the dmesg output

Yes it seems so.

> "pccardctl ident" returns:
> Socket 0:
>   product info: "D-Link", "DWL-650 Wireless PC Card RevP", "ISL37101P-10", "A3"
>   manfid: 0x000b, 0x7110
>   function: 6 (network)
> Socket 1:
>   no product info available

Could it be that you card lacks the firmware image in its flash memory
and it should be loaded when the card is initialized? See:

"config HOSTAP_FIRMWARE
         bool "Support downloading firmware images with Host AP driver"
         depends on HOSTAP
         ---help---
         Configure Host AP driver to include support for firmware image
         download. This option by itself only enables downloading to the
         volatile memory, i.e. the card RAM. This option is required to
         support cards that don't have firmware in flash, such as D-Link
         DWL-520 rev E and D-Link DWL-650 rev P.

         Firmware image downloading needs a user space tool, prism2_srec.
         It is available from http://hostap.epitest.fi/.
"

I don't know if the firmware can be loaded via kernel firmware
downloading system by just copy the correct firmware images to
/lib/firmware or equivalent directory. Or is the prism2_srec tool really
needed.

You can try with pm010102.hex and rf010704.hex firmware files from
http://linux.junsun.net/intersil-prism/firmware/1.7.4/

See also:

http://linux.junsun.net/intersil-prism

and

http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-pcmcia/2005-July/002253.html

> After reading http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.drivers.hostap/7384
> I also added the following to /etc/pcmcia/hostap_cs.conf:
>
> card "Dlink Weird Card"
>   manfid 0x000b, 0x7110
>   bind "hostap_cs"

The old system (pcmcia-cs) reads the hostap_cs.conf file, but not the
new system (pcmciautils). The same info is build inside the hostap_cs
module itself. I think the old and new system can't coexist simultaneously.

--
Best Regards, Jar