ndiswrapper/wpa fails but rt2x00/wpa works with identical card/config

re2823 at Safe-mail.net re2823 at Safe-mail.net
Thu Dec 21 10:48:51 EST 2006

-------- Original Message --------
From: kemas henry <k_henry at ramayana.co.id>
To: re2823 at Safe-mail.net
Subject: Re: ndiswrapper/wpa fails but rt2x00/wpa works with identicalcard/config
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 13:45:08 +0700

> I use wifi card rt2500 chipset with driver from ralink
> http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Home/Support/Linux.html
> but I can't use it to authenticate eap-tls with wpa_supplicant.
> so I use ndiswrapper-1.31 then it can authenticate eap-tls with
> wpa_supplicant.
>
> just curious, you did install wpa_supplicant with config_ndiswrapper=y,
> right?
> maybe some conf file to be shared
>
> forgive me, if it don't help much to you

No apologies necessary - all help is greatly appreciated!

Yes, wpa_supplicant is being built with the ndiswrapper driver
(CONFIG_DRIVER_NDISWRAPPER=y) although I do not use it because there
is a note in the debian package which says:

"Ndiswrapper NO LONGER SUPPORTS the 'ndiswrapper' driver backend as of
version 1.16. Therefore, 'wext' must be used unless you use an
antiquated ndiswrapper release."

You can find this text in here:
http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/w/wpasupplicant/wpasupplicant_0.5.5-2.diff.gz

So I normally use:
wpa_supplicant -w -d -Dwext -iwlan0 -c/etc/wpa.conf

I just need to get a few more debug logs ready and I will post some
more bug reports...

Jaime