wpa_supplicant claims AP doesn't do WPA

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Wed Dec 20 22:01:27 EST 2006

On Thu, 2006-12-21 at 00:59 +0000, Paul LeoNerd Evans wrote:
> I have a Linksys WAP54G running version 3.04 of their firmware. It's set
> to WPA2-Personal, using AES with a preshared key. It is set to
> 802.11b-only, since I have slight issues from time to time with
> G-enabled cards.
>
> My laptop is using a Linksys WPC11 wireless network card. This is an
> 802.11b card. It's running wpa_supplicant in debian's package, claiming
>
> ii  wpasupplicant         0.5.5-4               Client support for WPA
> and WPA2 (IEEE 802.11i)
>
> According to "iwlist scan" it therefore looks like:
>
> wpc11     Scan completed :
>           Cell 01 - Address: 00:06:25:xx:xx:xx
>                     ESSID:"leoair"
>                     Mode:Master
>                     Frequency:2.417 GHz (Channel 2)
>                     Signal level:56/153  Noise level:13/153
>                     Encryption key:on
>                     Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s
>
> I can't seem to get wpa_supplicant to connect to it though. My config
> file for this AP looks like:
>
> network={
>         ssid="leoair"
>         key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
>         psk="xxxxxxxx"
>
>         priority=10
> }
>
> Yet, when I run wpa_supplicant in foreground with "-d -d", it says:

> Received 578 bytes of scan results (5 BSSes)
> Scan results: 5
> Selecting BSS from priority group 10
> 0: 00:06:25:49:c4:05 ssid='leoair' wpa_ie_len=0 rsn_ie_len=0 caps=0x11
>    skip - no WPA/RSN IE
>
> No WPA IE? Maybe some item of config is missing here? At the AP's end,
> or the wpa_supp's end?

If your driver doesn't support returning the WPA IE in the scan results,
it's certainly not going to work with WPA and wpa_supplicant.  Smells
like a driver problem.

What driver are you using?  Does that driver really support WPA?  What
hardware version is your card?  Is it prism or prism2 based?  What
firmware version are you using?  Linksys has a long history of calling
something the same product name but switching out chipsets; you may not
have the card you think you do.

Do an lsmod and lets see what driver the kernel is binding to your card.
If you're using 'orinoco' drivers, they don't do WPA.  You might try
blacklisting the orinoco ones and using the 'hostap' driver instead.

Dan