wpa_supplicant fails and reports weird AP address in association

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Sat Dec 16 23:26:57 EST 2006

On Tue, Dec 12, 2006 at 12:15:44PM +0100, Sergio Callegari wrote:

> I am trying to set up a wireless network including an Hamlet access
> point and a Linux laptop with an intel 3945 wireless interface.

I'm not familiar with "Hamlet access point". What is it? Is there a more
specific model number and software version etc. available?

> 1) my AP MAC address should be AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:30 as reported on the AP
> web interface (only last byte is properly quoted here).
>
> 2) iwlist eth1 scan reports AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:33... i.e. the last byte is
> different in 3 bits.

It sounds like the AP is using more than one address. The oen shown in
the web UI is likely the one from the wired interface, not wireless, in
this case..

> 4) when wpa_supplicant reports association, it says it is associating
> with AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:33...
>
> 5) however, the subsequent debug of the 4 way
> handshake shows AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:30 as the AP address...
>
> May this has anything to do with the failed handshake?

Yes, very possible.

> wpa_supplicant is version 0.5.4

Could you please run with the latest wpa_supplicant version (0.5.6) and
if that is also failing, please post a detailed debug log from
wpa_supplicant (-dd on command line).