Dynamic WEP key on wired network

Paul-Henri Gauzence de Lastours gauzence at gmail.com
Mon Aug 28 04:57:13 EDT 2006

On 27/08/06, Jouni Malinen <jkmaline at cc.hut.fi> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 10:26:14AM +0200, Paul-Henri Gauzence de Lastours
> wrote:
>
> > Actually I don't want to use WEP, as it concerns wireless networks and
> as
> > recent works from UK dramatically reduced the time for cracking it. The
> > project on which I'm working already contains en encryption part using
> DES
> > with static keys. What I want to do is just to use the dynamic key
> exchange
> > mechanism without encrypting data, this work being attributed to another
> > application. I just need to get a key of more than 64 bits, so that
> > eventually after troncating it, I can use it for DES encryption. Do you
> > think this ca be done ?
>
> Which IEEE 802.1X authenticator would you be using here? IEEE 802.1X can
> be used to distribute encryption keys, but I have not seen it being used
> for wired networks and as such, this would require changes to both the
> authenticator and supplicant.

I am using hostapd as authenticator with wpa_supplicant as supplicant.
Do you think key distribution can be added easily on these pieces of
software ? Does it require a lot of time / coding ? Can some existing
functions be used for that ? In fact I thought this would not be so
difficult : as I can get random numbers thanks to EAP-TTLS, I then just need
to derivate a key from these numbers and share it. Can you tell me if I am
right or if it will be more complicated thant that ?
Many thanks !