Problems connecting to a hotspot

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Thu Aug 24 21:47:59 EDT 2006

On Thu, Aug 24, 2006 at 07:34:51PM +0200, Frank Meerkoetter wrote:

> i've had some problems connecting to a hotspot based system in a hotel
> recently. It should be an open network, authentification is done
> over the webbrowser. This is also the way it worked for my WinXP notebook.
>
> The wpa_supplicant under linux could not connect. When i used the wpa_cli
> tool to check what was the problem i got this network line (cmd. SCAN_RESULT):
>
> 00:a0:f8:aa:ef:9e 2412 [WPA-?] ISFR WiFi
>
> Why is he reporting [WPA-?]?

I would guess that the AP is reporting something that the client driver
is claiming to be WPA advertisement. All the released versions of
wpa_supplicant refuse to associate with such an AP since it looks like
it is using invalid configuration. However, the current snapshot version
from 0.5 development branch could allow asswociation.