madwifi talking to intel 2011b - fixed, badly?

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Sun Aug 20 13:02:30 EDT 2006

On Thu, Aug 17, 2006 at 12:23:55AM -0400, Brad Langhorst wrote:

> i can make association work if i comment line 410 in events.c
>                              ((ssid->key_mgmt & WPA_KEY_MGMT_NONE) ||
>                               (ssid->key_mgmt &
> WPA_KEY_MGMT_IEEE8021X_NO_WPA))
>                              /*&& bss->wpa_ie_len == 0 &&
> bss->rsn_ie_len == 0 *$                            &&

> Why does wpa_ie_len have to be 0 if we just tried WPA mode and it didn't
> work and key_mgmt=NONE ?

The AP should not include WPA IE in this kind of case. Anyway, it would
be fair to say that client could ignore such a bogus information if
configered to use non-WPA network. I changes this to be allowed, but
with a bit stricter conditions: key_mgmt must not allow any WPA mode. I
want to avoid accepting open AP if WPA would be enabled in configuration
even if non-WPA mode is included since that may just be a bug in the
configuration and this case here is just a workaround for a broken AP.