Having problem on wpa_supplicant with EAP-TTLS

Paul-Henri Gauzence de Lastours gauzence at gmail.com
Fri Aug 11 04:40:54 EDT 2006

On 30/07/06, Jouni Malinen <jkmaline at cc.hut.fi> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 26, 2006 at 04:48:41PM +0200, Paul-Henri Gauzence de Lastours
> wrote:
>
> > I'm using wpa_supplicant-0.4.8.
> > The version of OpenSSL is 0.9.7j, the latest for branch 0-9-7 (4th may
> > 2006), and I'm working on ARM9 with a 2.6.10 kernel.
>
> Is this using uClinux? Which C library are you using?

I'm using uclibc926.

> According to what you say, the problem should come from OpenSSL, so I'm
> > gonna have a look on it.
>
> Either something goes wrong in the way OpenSSL library is being called
> or something odd happens in OpenSSL. Have you used OpenSSL on that
> board with anything else?
>
> I haven't tested OpenSSL 0.9.7j, but I would not expect it to be that
> different from earlier 0.9.7 versions that I have tested. It looks like
> this issue may require adding some more debug code in eap_tls_common.c
> or tls_openssl.c to figure out what exactly is happening when OpenSSL
> library gets called.

Actually, I'm using exactly the same OpenSSL files for hostapd, and it works
perfectly.
So, I made a few more tests, and here is what I could find out :

- in the *eap_tls_common* file, in the function *eap_tls_process_helper*,
the function *tls_connection_handshake *is never called, because *
eap_tls_data_reassemble* returns a NULL, and so, we quit *
eap_tls_process_helper*. I tried to force the call of *eap_tls_handshake* by
commenting out the test on msg value. Then, the *client hello* message was
correctly sent, but then, there were lots and lots of strange characters on
debug output, and the authentication failed. But the *Client_hello* and *
Response_EAP-TTLS* packets were correctly sent.

So it seems that OpenSSL is correctly working, and that the problem comes
from *eap_tls_data_reassemble*. I'm continuing to work on that, but would
you have any idea of what could provok getting a NULL from this function ?

Thanks for your help.