wpa_supplicant v0.5.4 and ndiswrapper 1.21 not working

Kel Modderman kelrin at tpg.com.au
Wed Aug 9 10:52:04 EDT 2006

On Wednesday 09 August 2006 23:20, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-08-09 at 09:59 +1000, Kel Modderman wrote:
> > Try using -D wext.
>
> Ahhhhh!  Thanx much!  That worked.
>
> Next question... why?  What is "wext"?  "ndiswrapper" makes sense to me,
> "wext" doesn't (yet, hopefully).  Just trying to understand the tools I
> am working with rather than just using them blindly.

wext == Wireless Extensions

The WEXT code (in the kernel source) provides a common set of "tools" for all
wireless kernel modules to use for various different functions. Being common
by supporting WEXT is an advantage, and something sort for by good wireless
kernel modules, as it means that the behaviour of each module is similar to
the next.

http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/Linux.Wireless.Extensions.html

Thanks, Kel.