FreeBSD / TinyBSD hostapd 0.4.8 core dump / Segmentation fault

Jonas gumstix at confero24.com
Wed Apr 26 12:43:25 EDT 2006

I'm trying to get hostapd 0.4.8 on TinyBSD with the goal of building a
WPA capable FreeBSD access point.  Here's how I went about it:

Host:	FreeBSD 6.0-REL
Target:	Soekris net-4801 / 512MB C-Flash
	Atheros CM9 miniPCI

TinyBSD works great, I even got Perl installed on it from ports, by
mounting the target CF at /mnt of host.

However, installing hostapd 0.4.8 (after cvsup) using the same method, I
noticed that the target binaries were not being installed in the /mnt
mount partition of the target.  The command I used for installing the
hostapd 0.4.8 port was:

  make install PREFIX=/mnt/usr/local FORCE_PKG_REGISTER=yes

The make went ok, but the hostapd and hostapd_cli binaries were not
installed anywhere on /mnt, rather at /usr/local of the host.

Hoping that the TinyBSD and host FreeBSD 6.0-REL environments were
similar enough I copied hostapd, hostapd_cli over to /mnt/usr/local and
proceeded to boot the CF.

Nah - running hostapd with a sample madwifi.conf file started to core-dump.

Though not familiar with gdb, I got the following output when I ran it
across the hostapd binary at /usr/local and core-dump:

----
root at fbsd6# gdb /usr/local/bin/hostapd hostapd.core
GNU gdb 6.1.1 [FreeBSD]
/*... only some licensing gibberish..*/
This GDB was configured as "i386-marcel-freebsd"...(no debugging symbols
found)...
Core was generated by `hostapd'.
Reading symbols from /lib/libc.so.6...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/libc.so.6
Reading symbols from /libexec/ld-elf.so.1...(no debugging symbols
found)...done.
Loaded symbols for /libexec/ld-elf.so.1
#0  0x08049b34 in driver_lookup ()
(gdb)
----

The host FreeBSD 6.0 machine doesn't have an ath* interface.

I guess it was wrong to copy the hostapd, hostapd_cli binaries over, but
how can I get the 0.4.8 port to install directly into the PREFIX /mnt
directory?  Am I doing anything else wrong?

Thanks for your attention

Jonas

--
Visit for best deals on WLAN hardware