group key handshake failure in WPA-EAP mode

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Sun Apr 23 10:52:25 EDT 2006

On Sun, Apr 23, 2006 at 02:21:13PM +0200, Piotr Zawadzki wrote:
> I have working setup with hostapd 0.5.2 (RSN and TKIP encryption), freeradius
> as a AAA server and wpa_supplicant 0.5.2.
> But if i change protocol from RSN to WPA the group key handshake fails
>  with the following log on hostapd

What wlan cards and drivers (including version) are you using in the AP
and client? Can you please send debug log from wpa_supplicant for the
failed case?

Group key handshake is the first user of the just configured pairwise
keys and failure here could indicate that either the client or the AP
has not configured TKIP keys properly at this point. Are you saying that
the data connection works fine with RSN?