Virtual WiFi on Linux?

Dan Searle dan at adelix.com
Thu Oct 20 03:59:18 EDT 2005

Hi,

Talking somewhat specifically about Madwifi here, but what I'm saying
could be taken in a more generic sense....

Surely to run virtual AP's you need the NIC's to possess more than one
MAC address, i.e. for 16 Virtual AP's, you need 16 MAC addresses.
Then, run 16 separate MAC layers with some kind of modification to the
HAL to share (schedule) the PHY layer between the 16 MAC layers.

I.e. run 16 802.11 protocol stacks on top of a modified HAL which
contains some kind of intelligent PHY scheduler, to make sure we're
fair about how much time each MAC layer gets on the PHY.

Received frames are not under our control, so all the scheduler would
have to do is share out the PHY transmit buffer (e.g. SFQ?).

I think this would require either modifying any existing lower MAC
(HAL), or perhaps writing a completely new lower MAC (HAL).

Regards, Dan...

--

Dan Searle
Adelix Ltd

Any views expressed in this email communication are those
of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically states
them to be the views of a member of Adelix Ltd.  Adelix Ltd. does not
represent, warrant or guarantee that the integrity of this communication
has been maintained nor that the communication is free of errors or
interference.