Dual Radios: Was Re: Virtual WiFi on Linux?

Kelly Hogan kshogan at linora.com
Wed Oct 19 17:49:41 EDT 2005

I guess my bad.

We don't run our Dual Radio APs in dual master mode.  That would assume
that the backhaul would use some WDS architecture, which is extremely
inefficient.  We run one in master, the other in managed client mode.
The second client radio leaches onto the any of the other mesh nodes
Master AP, as a client, excluding its sibling AP radio.   We then do
routing magic.

Our tests, with the unit running with the client backhaul radio
connected, show a 5% decrease in throughput vs the same unit without the
backhaul radio running, and getting its backhaul from a hardwired
interface.  If the two radios running together were the problem, seems
we would see something different.

So if the problem is related to two APs in the same box in master mode,
then so be it.  I can't comment on that.  But two radios work fine with
little effect in performance or distance of clients to the master AP
when configured as our mesh system.

With hundreds of outdoor, long distance hotspots (campgrounds) around
the country, I think we would be seeing something entirely different in
our support calls if it didn't work.

KH