wpa_supplicant troubles with connection following authentication (cannot get IP)

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Fri Oct 14 23:45:35 EDT 2005

On Fri, Oct 14, 2005 at 08:29:33PM -0700, Sam Leffler wrote:

> I'm guessing you're using an Atheros card.  If so then the collected
> packet trace may include data padding between the 802.11 header and the
> payload that confuses ethereal and/or tcpdump.  I have changes to send
> the ethereal folks to deal with this if you tapped at the driver level
> and changes to the kernel to squeeze out the bytes if you tapped at the
> 802.11 layer.  If you tap at the 802.3 layer then frames should display
> fine in ethereal.

Since DHCP was also failing, this could also be triggered with something
going wrong in key configuration. I've seen ethereal showing "LLC
headers" with madwifi under Linux when the group key was being
configured without group key flag. Anyway, it looks like you are already
aware of some changes needed to the ethereal/kernel, so that could of
course also explain this.

> Collect a wpa_supplicant log with the -d option and take this to a
> freebsd mailing list--unless Jouni's interested in freebsd problems :).

I'm not particularly interested in driver specific issue under any OS
;-) if it is clear that the authentication part itself worked correctly.