Failed to parse WPA IE from association info

Dunford, Martin mdunford at nexthop.com
Thu Oct 6 18:15:31 EDT 2005

 My 'iwlist ath0 scan' differs completely from what wpa_supplicant
sees in its scan (with scan_ap=1 or scan_ap=0). wpa_supp sees
maybe one AP out of a dozen the iwlist scan sees. Doesn't it
use the same kernel driver as iwlist with scan_ap=0 and if so
what gives?

  How do I reconcile wpa_supp with iwlist scan so that I can get
wpa_supp to associate with the AP I hav ready for all manner of
testing? (it will associate with an AP it finds in its scan
ok, the scan is the problem here)

 My wpa_supplicant conf is excruciatingly simple:

         ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
          ctrl_interface_group=0
        eapol_version=1
       ap_scan=0
       # Plaintext connection (no WPA, no IEEE 802.1X)
       network={
          ssid="nexthop"
           key_mgmt=NONE
        }

Thanks in advance for looking at this
Martin

MY SETUP
Socket 0:
  product info: "Atheros Communications, Inc.", "AR5001-0000-0000", "Wireless LAN Reference Card", "00"
)
  lsmod | grep ath
    ath_pci                53284  0

  wpa_supplicant v0.3.8
  iwlist    Wireless-Tools version 28 pre-9 (scan wouldn't work with 27)
  Linux 2.6.10-1.771_FC2 (Fedora Core 2)