Firmware troubles

Martin Hicks mort at bork.org
Tue Oct 4 14:18:34 EDT 2005

Hi,

I don't believe that this has anything to do with HostAP, but I hope
this group will be able to help me out.

I've got a Prism 2.5 based Mini-PCI card in my IBM T-23 laptop and it
(seemingly) spontaneously broke during the summer.  Both HostAP and the
hermes/orinoco drivers no longer work with the card.

I decided today to try to fix the problem, hoping that I could flash a
newer firmware and get it working again.  I looked at Jun Sun's page and
tried to follow his suggestions of using hostap_diag.  This gives me:

[root at socrates hostap-utils-0.4.0]# ./hostap_diag wlan0
Host AP driver diagnostics information for 'wlan0'

ioctl[PRISM2_IOCTL_HOSTAPD]: Inappropriate ioctl for device
Could not communicate with the kernel driver.

and the output in dmesg since I modprobe'd the orinoco_pci driver is:

hostap_pci: 0.4.5 - 2005-09-25 (Jouni Malinen <jkmaline at cc.hut.fi>)
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:02:02.0[A] -> Link [LNKC] -> GSI 9 (level, low)
-> IRQ 9
hostap_pci: Registered netdevice wifi0
wifi0: Original COR value: 0x0
hostap_pci: assuming no Primary image in flash - card initialization not
completed
wifi0: test Genesis mode with HCR 0x1f
wifi0: Original COR value: 0x0
Readback test failed, HCR 0x1f write 00 e1 a1 ff read 00 c1 a1 c1
wifi0: test Genesis mode with HCR 0x0f
wifi0: Original COR value: 0xa1
Readback test succeeded, HCR 0x0f
wifi0: Intersil Prism2.5 PCI: mem=0xec000000, irq=9
wifi0: registered netdevice wlan0
wlan0: could not set interface UP - no PRI f/w
wifi0: cannot get RID fd0b (len=1008) - no PRI f/w

So it really looks like there is no primary firmware in the card
anymore.  How do I get prism2_srec to write a new firmware into RAM or
flash?  Does anyone know which NICID this card is?

Please help me stop using this crappy aironet card :-)

thanks
mh

--
Martin Hicks || mort at bork.org || PGP/GnuPG: 0x4C7F2BEE