Problems connecting to "ANY" ap...

Klaas De Craemer klaasdc at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 06:30:11 EST 2005

Hello

Recently I bought a Senao 2511CD pccard with Prism2.5 chipset. In
windows, the card works perfect, it auto-connects to any accesspoint
it sees. However, in Linux, configuring it is a real mess. I compiled
the hostap 0.4.7 driver, and my dmesg output shows:

hostap_crypt: registered algorithm 'NULL'
hostap_cs: 0.4.7 - 2005-11-20 (Jouni Malinen <jkmaline at cc.hut.fi>)
hostap_cs: setting Vcc=33 (constant)
hostap_cs: CS_EVENT_CARD_INSERTION
hostap_cs: setting Vcc=33 (from config)
Checking CFTABLE_ENTRY 0x01 (default 0x01)
IO window settings: cfg->io.nwin=1 dflt.io.nwin=1
io->flags = 0x0046, io.base=0x0000, len=64
hostap_cs: Registered netdevice wifi0
hostap_cs: index 0x01: Vcc 3.3, irq 3, io 0x0100-0x013f
prism2_hw_init: initialized in 196 ms
wifi0: NIC: id=0x800c v1.0.0
wifi0: PRI: id=0x15 v1.1.0
wifi0: STA: id=0x1f v1.8.2
wifi0: registered netdevice wlan0

Now, the point is that 'iwconfig' won't do much. For example:
iwconfig wlan0 mode managed
iwconfig wlan0 essid "any"
And nothing happens, the card's status led stays dark, while under
windows, it keeps lit all the time. Even if I first set 'prism2_param
wlan0 host_roaming 1' as stated in the readme.
But if I start kwirelessmonitor and use the experimental feature to
set the network name to "any", the status led on the card immediately
lights up and I'm connected. If I reinsert the card, the problem is
back and the only way to connect to an accesspoint is via
kwirelessmonitor.
Also things like 'iwlist wlan0 scanning' gives:
wlan0     Interface doesn't support scanning : Network is down
What is going on? I don't seem to have this with the wlan_ng drivers.

Klaas De Craemer