wpa-psk and hostap problem.

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Tue Nov 29 23:25:02 EST 2005

On Tue, Nov 29, 2005 at 05:28:35PM -0500, Andrea G Forte wrote:

> I was conducting some experiments with a Netgear AP, and two linux
> laptops (kernel 2.4). On one of the laptops I used hostap 0.3.9 and
> wpa_supplicant 0.4.7 and on the other laptop I used hostap-driver0.3.9
> without any supplicant. On the AP I enabled WPA-PSK. Now, according to
> the standard, a client should first associate to the AP and then perform
> authentication.

Also according to the standard, the AP that is configured to use WPA
must reject association if the client does not use WPA..

> However, the problem is that now the laptop on which I do *not* run the
> supplicant it even fails associating to the AP. I always get association
> failed (Linkstatus = 6). Is this a problem related to the Netgear AP
> that does not follow the standard or is it a problem with the hostap
> driver?

I have hard time trying to understand this explanation.. Could you
please explain what you were expecting to see and what you think is
incorrect behavior? If I understood this setup correctly, you have AP
configured to use WPA and the client (the one not running
wpa_supplicant) configured not to use WPA. Did I understand that
correctly? If yes, the expected behavior is that the client does not
complete association with this AP and that seems to be exactly what is
happening here..