[Off topic] Difference between wpa: tkip & aes

Jar jar at pcuf.fi
Sun Nov 6 08:54:31 EST 2005

Bryan Kadzban wrote:
> How did you come to that conclusion?  Were you looking at directed
> packets, or broadcast/multicast packets?

Unicast data packets.

> What makes you think they're using TKIP now?  I guess I always assumed
> that the encryption method matched what I had configured on both the
> client and AP sides, so I never figured out how to tell the difference
> just by looking at data packets.

Because the sniffer shows that the data packets are WEP protected.
Looking inside the data packet there is mention about TKIP.

When using Kismet, it complains about some weak keys after 24h traffic.
  I assume that the weak key problem is because TKIP/WEP method is
actually used and not CCMP-AES.

Or is it so that you can't see via sniffer is the encryption TKIP or
AES? How to 100% verify the security of the connection then?

--
Best Regards, Jar