HostAP with ralink card - might it work?

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Mon May 23 17:48:30 EDT 2005

On Mon, May 09, 2005 at 02:11:30PM +0200, Tim Boneko wrote:

> Sorry for confusing this... I want to use the hostapd for authenticating
> my clients and setting up wpa encryption instead of wep. Hostapd is
> installed on my gateway pc (debian sarge), the clients are linux pcs and
> apples.
> There´s no prism chipset available here, only ralink based cards.
> (802.11g based cards with kernel drivers are almost impossible to come
> by in germany)

So you are trying to use hostapd with a Ralink-based card in access
point mode? I would assume that this is not supported since no one has
mentioned working on such combination. I don't know what kind of support
Ralink driver has for AP mode, but I would guess that it could be made
to work, but this will likely require changes both to the driver and
hostapd.