HostAP with ralink card - might it work?

Tim Boneko tim at boneko.de
Thu May 5 14:56:25 EDT 2005

Hi!
While trying to get rid of wep encryption in my wlan, i found the hostap
project (i know, this is not for ralink cards...).
I decided to just give it a try and installed the package
(Debian 3.1, kernel 2.6.11.7). I configured my wlan card (msi pc54g2
with rt2500 driver) as "wired" and configured all necessary options.
This is what i found out so far:

When running wpa_supplicant (on the client) in debug mode, it complains
about not finding a suitable AP - most probably because the rt2500
driver doesn´t work in Master mode (yet). Nevertheless, "iwconfig" tells
me that the client uses the hostap machine as AP, and the "Mode" entry
switched itself from "Ad-Hoc" to "Managed".
Under circumstances i can´t really reproduce, hostapd tells me something
like "releasing station [MAC address of the _client_] when i shut down
wpa_supplicant on the client. However, hostapd doesn´t keep the clients
from connecting, even with a bad password - it seems useless.

Is it any worth trying this any further? Has anybody gotten this to work
with a ralink card, or is support for this planned?
thx,

	timbo