Selective scanning solution

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Mon Mar 28 22:42:56 EST 2005

On Mon, Mar 28, 2005 at 07:17:36PM -0500, Tony Espy wrote:

> This last paragraph is a bit of a surprise to me.  I've actually made
> some modifications to wpa_supplicant to allow another process to ask it
> to scan and/or associate via the control socket.  I haven't seen a
> problem with the connection dropping when this is done.

Which firmware version are you using? I'm testing with STA f/w v1.8.3
and it ended up in odd state where all TX packets are being dropped if I
do a scan request in host_roaming=2 mode.

> I'll try and pull down the latest code from CVS tomorrow.  What code did
> you change to allow the connection to be restored?

I changed hostap_info.c to issue a join request in host_roaming=2 mode
in the same way that was done in host_roaming=1 case when scan results
become available. This fixes the connection in my tests.

> By the way, I'm using the HostAP driver ( v0.2.5 ).

I don't think there have been changes on this part of the code, so I
would have expected v0.2.5 work (well, _not_ work in this case) in the
same way.

> p.s. I haven't made my wpa_supplicant changes available as I intend to
> port them to 0.3.7 first, however if you ( or anyone else ) are
> interested in seeing them please let me know.

In generel, I would suggest the "release early, release often" mantra
often used with Linux development. I don't have a fixed plan on when
something like this would happen, but improvements on this area are
certainly on my to-do list for wpa_supplicant.. In other words, there
are risks of doing double work here.