Managed Mode -- Use of wifi0 and wlan0 devices?

Tony Espy espy at pepper.com
Mon Mar 28 19:02:32 EST 2005

I'm using HostAP in managed mode, in conjunction with an older DHCP
client ( pump ).  I'm considering moving to ISC's dhclient, but for now
I'm stuck with pump ( 0.8.21 ).

One of the first things I ran into was that when killed, pump marked the
interface as DOWN.  Since HostAP requires one or more of it's device(s)
to be UP in order function, I had to run some extra code to make sure
"wlan0" was marked UP before associating with a new AP.

It also seems to me that the right way to handle changing IP addresses,
is to mark the interface DOWN, muck with the IP parameters, then mark
the interface UP.

So, I came up with the idea of using both HostAP devices; "wifi0" for
association, and "wlan0" as my actual IP interface.  This allows
toggling of "wlan0"'s UP/DOWN flag ( by pump, or other code ) without
disabling the HostAP driver as "wifi0" remains UP and thus
wpa_supplicant is free to do it's thing.

This seems to work great, although I wasn't able to find any
documentation, nor threads on the mailing list re: running in such a
configuration.

Am I correct to be using both HostAP devices in such a manner while in
managed (STA) mode?

ciao,
Tony Espy,
Pepper Computer