pccard (Linksys WPC11) resets constantly (fwd)

mapr at mx.sybcom.de mapr at mx.sybcom.de
Thu Mar 10 05:40:27 EST 2005

Hello,
I am running kernel 2.4.25 (i82365, N2K-card driver, etc. built into the
kernel), hostap-driver-0.3.7 and cardmgr comes from pcmcia-cs-3.2.7. This
configuration worked well with a Netgear MA401, but switching to a
Linksys WPC11 brought several problems.

I do an insmod to load the modules  'hostap.o' and 'hostap_cs.o',
sometimes this runs without problems and I can run cardmgr and do a ram
download (prism2_srec -r wlan0 rf010409.hex). After running for a short
time the card is resetting constantly:

NETDEV WATCHDOG: wifi0: transmit timed out
wifi0 Tx timed out! Resetting card
hostap_cs: wifi0: resetting card
Spurious 8259A interrupt: IRQ7.
NETDEV WATCHDOG: wifi0: transmit timed out
wifi0 TX timed out! Resetting card
wifi0: interrupt delivery does not seem to work
wifi0: DTIM period setting to 1 failed
NETDEV WATCHDOG: wifi0: transmit timed out
wifi0: TX timed out! Resetting card
wifi0: interrupt delivery does not seem to work
wifi0: MAC port 0 enabling failed
hostap_cs: wifi0: resetting card
hostap_cs: wifi0: resetting card
NETDEV WATCHDOG: wifi0 : transmit timed out
wifi0 Tx timed out! Resetting card
hostap_cs: wifi0: resetting card

As far as I can see the problems arise already when the modules are
loaded (if that could cause the above problems?), because most of the
times after insmod'ing it says:

'unable to locate card memory' and later
'resource is temporarely not available'

and something about not finding memory_cs [I don't need the memory_cs.o
module, do I? And if, why does it run sometimes without?] Running cardmgr
now freezes the whole computer.

I don't do the 'modprobe' stuff, because I have very limited resources
(no hd, only ramdisk)  - so it's likely a general PCMCIA instead of a
hostap* module problem. Sorry if being Off-Topic, but currently I don't
get a step forward.

Any hints will be appreciated

Thanks,
Mario