WPA PSK-key length problem?

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Mon Mar 7 22:08:41 EST 2005

On Mon, Mar 07, 2005 at 10:42:24AM +0100, Holger Schurig wrote:

> The device that connects to the Access-Point is running Linux 2.4 on an
> Intel XScale PXA255, an ARM like prozessor used in embedded devices and
> PDAs. In history, I had to apply alignment fixes to some low-level stuff,
> e.g. libusb. Maybe I run into the same problem zone here.

> wpa_driver_hermes_init: eth1
> found Hermes 2 STA

I have never tested Orinoco/Hermes cards with WPA, so I don't know what
to expect from them and how the driver works.

> WPA: Own WPA IE - hexdump(len=24): dd 16 00 50 f2 01 01 00 00 50 f2 02 01
> 00 00 50 f2 02 01 00 00 50 f2 02

This is the WPA IE wpa_supplicant is trying to use and I did not see any
AssocInfo events updating it. Could you please verify with a wireless
sniffer that the WPA IE in Association Request matches with this one?
The AP will verify that they do and will reject 4-Way Handshake if there
is a mismatch. One possible reason for the debug log from Cisco AP would
be in the AssocReq using 26-byte WPA IE. If this is the case, the driver
would need to either use the WPA IE generated by wpa_supplicant or it
would need to notify wpa_supplicant about the WPA IE used in AssocReq by
using EVENT_ASSOCINFO.