Poor performance when using WDS with a Senao NL-3054CB3 802.11g repeater

Josh Green josh at resonance.org
Sat Mar 5 04:24:51 EST 2005

On Sat, 2005-03-05 at 16:03 +1300, Ian McDonald wrote:
> It's almost like you are dropping down to .b speed (11 Mbit). In
> theory g is 5 x times faster than b and if you get half the
> performance by repeating it should be 10 times slower - which is what
> you are getting!
>
> Remember that if you have any b gear on the network it will often all
> drop down to that speed....

Not sure I understood you correctly.  The Linux access point is indeed
using 11 Mbit cards, while the repeater is 802.11g.  Did you mean that
this situation should in fact be 10 times slower than 802.11b, like what
I'm seeing?

I hope thats not the case, since that would be pretty inadequate for
this application.  I was expecting any 802.11g clients using the
repeater to be able to communicate with each other at 54Mbit (have not
tested this yet), but traffic to the Internet would be forwarded to the
Linux access point which would send it over the point to point link out
to a DSL modem.  It would be nice to get at least 1 or 2 Mbit from the
Internet link, since it will be a 1Mbit DSL connection.

Best regards,
	Josh Green