Non destructive scanning while connected to current AP.

Andrea G Forte andreaf at cs.columbia.edu
Tue Mar 1 11:39:03 EST 2005

Ajeet Nankani wrote:

> Yeah i know that buffered frames are not useful for VoIP, but what if
> the scanning procedure is modified(selective scaning - your research
> paper) so that it completes in 20ms to 30ms? I guess in that case
> these frames might be useful for VoIP.
> Any comments on this.

As I said earlier, these frames would be useful if they would not add a
significant delay to the scanning process. Unfortunately from some first
measurements I took, it seems that they add some significant delay which
makes them not useful with any form of scanning (we are always talking
about real-time traffic here). However, this is a work in
progress.....will need to take more measurements.
Do you know if these frames behave in this way for Prism2/2.5/3 cards
only? What about other chipsets? Does anyone know about the madwifi
group? Do they have the same behaviour with their chipset/card?

Regards,
Andrea