Regarding enabling of Promiscous mode in Wpa_supplicant.

J I jmi_1996 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 17 08:02:14 EDT 2005

Hi,
     Thank you for the response.
          Actually the promiscous mode is differant from the monitor mode. Promiscous mode allows the driver to pass all the incoming and outgoing packets to the host machine. Since i need the traces of the management frames to be captured , to be more precise secured handshake messages. Will the tcpdump capture the management frames aswell ? Or else is there any other way to capture the incoming and outgoing management frames ?

with regards,
- Rajesh

Leonardo Maccari <maccari-thisaintpartofmyaddress- at lenst.det.unifi.it> wrote:
On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 11:00:01AM -0700, J I wrote:
> Hi ,
> I am trying to enable the Promiscous mode in wpa_supplicant to capture the incoming and outgoing packets. I could see the piece of code in file "hostap_hw.c" setting the promiscous mode by calling the function prism2_setup_rids(), in which the RID for enabling the promiscous mode is being configured. But still i am not able to capture the incoming and outgoing messages. Do i need to make changes in the hostap code for enabling the promiscous mode to serve my purpose ? Is there any specific RID that infoms the driver to pass all the messages to host ? Can any one help me in this regards.

if you run tcpdump on a wireless interface, you see packets entering and
exiting the interface, even not in promiscous mode (I guess you mean
monitor mode). You will miss some layer II stuff. Otherwise if you put
the card in monitor mode wpa_supplicant wan't work, you need two cards.

ciao,
leonardo.

--
Key fingerprint = 3129 C583 F03B 2E73 0115 C040 3489 0185 B592 19FE
Obviously -thisaintpartofmyaddress- is not part of my real email address

http://mail.yahoo.com