Wireless Communication Between two APs?

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Sat Jun 4 21:58:28 EDT 2005

On Fri, Jun 03, 2005 at 12:24:47PM +0200, Jon Schuringa wrote:

> I'm building a self-organizing Ad-hoc network based on hostap. In order
> to automatically setup WDS-links between APs (which operate in managed
> mode), these APs need first to negotiate. The problem is that I can send
> but not receive packets (I sniffed on a client computer). So my
> question: can two managed mode APs within the same ESSID send packets to
> each other over the wireless link?

I don't know what you mean with "managed mode AP". Two IEEE 802.11
access points can send data frames to eachother using 4-address WDS
frames. If you want to send something before starting up WDS link, you
could use management frames (authenticate, association req/resp). What
do you want to negotiate before setting up WDS links?