IPW2100 will not connect to Linksys router

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Fri Jun 3 22:00:30 EDT 2005

On Tue, May 31, 2005 at 09:09:48PM -0800, Joshua J. Kugler wrote:

> NIC: Intel PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 (And latest firmware from
> ipw2100.sf.net)
> AP: Linksys BEFW11S4 (802.11b)

> I have set up WPA on the AP, and it will connect fine from a Windows XP
> box. When I try to connect from this Linux laptop, I get this:
>
> [root at cdesysadminlaptop joshua]# wpa_supplicant -ieth1
> -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -Dipw
> Trying to associate with 00:12:17:3c:9c:73 (SSID='hillwireless' freq=0
> MHz)
> Associated with 00:12:17:3c:9c:73
> WPA: Key negotiation completed with 00:12:17:3c:9c:73 [PTK=TKIP
> GTK=TKIP]
> WPA: Group rekeying completed with 00:12:17:3c:9c:73 [GTK=TKIP]
> Disconnect event - remove keys

Based on the debug log, it looks like the WPA 4-Way handshake is
completed successfully and the client is able to receive message 1/2 of
the Group Key handshake. However, for some reason the AP does not either
receive or accept message 2/2. If you can get any event/debug
information from the AP, it could be helpful in finding out what is
happening.

> So, there you go...if you need more logs, let me know.  What I don't
> understand is why my AP get's "blacklisted."  What is it doing wrong?

The AP disconnected the client and wpa_supplicant uses a blacklist to
go through all available APs (if there's more than one) before trying
again with the one that rejected the authentication.