automatic rate adaptation

Tony Espy espy at pepper.com
Fri Jul 29 15:13:26 EDT 2005

Eduard GV wrote:
> Thanks Jouni,
>
> but could you explain the details of the mechanism? Or is there any
> reference you could point me to?

The details can be found in the Prism Driver Programmer's Manual.  you
need to contact Connexant to get a copy ( unless you can find one on the
net ).

A short summary of the mechanism in managed mode:

1. Rate fallback is triggered by transmit retries.  The default behavior
is to fallback to the next lowest rate starting at the 3rd TX retry and
then again for each subsequent retry.  So the first fallback is from
11Mbps to 5.5Mbps, then to 2, then to 1.

2. The trigger of the rateFallbackTimer ( hard-coded to 10 seconds ) or
a number of successful transmissions ( I don't know how many this is )
controls upgrade back to the highest rate.  The timer is initiated by
occurence of the first rate fallback.

Regards,
Tony Espy
Pepper Computer, Inc.