About link-layer handoff

张 yf zyf73518 at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 20 21:00:37 EDT 2005

I have made a test-bed, two AP made with hostap driver, a terminal with XP,
NTP for synchronization, airopeek NX for sniffing. simulate the handoff
process by shut down an AP,
Open system used. the detect result shows a complete handoff process takes
about 3.5 seconds. probe process take about 3.4 seconds, and auth and
associate take just less than 10 ms.

I have test for about 6 times, and the result is very similar. also I take
a notebook walking around our lab. The APs and pc card used come from
Cisco, and I notice there happened a handover as I walk from AP 1 to AP 2.
I didnot sniff the result, but I find a ping packet is lost (it's just a
link-layer handover, no network-layer handover takes place, and the two
real AP connect to the same switch), so the latency is about 2~3 seconds.

But from all the papers I have read, all authors claim the latency is about
200ms ~ 500ms, There is a big gap. WHY??

to be mentioned, I have found from a Sweden university's website, a guy
also got the same result with me.