wpa_supplicant problems

Rob Vandermeulen rob.vandermeulen at tiscali.be
Tue Jul 5 04:57:30 EDT 2005

Dear all

I have a proble connecting to a WPA enabled access point using
WPA-PEAPv0/MSCHAPv2. The access points in question are a Trapeze MX system
with a few antennas connected. The connection works perfectly on an IPW2915
on WinXP with the latest Intel drivers, so the configuration is not broken.
The bakend is a FreeRadius server. I tested multiple laptops (Acer TM8003
with ipw1.0.4 (ipw2200 card) and wpasupplicant 0.3.9 & 0.4.3, and a few IBM
T43 with ipw2915 cards, tried using 1.0.4 also) . All combinations of
drivers / wpa_supplicant give an ssl error and fail to correctly
authenticate. Luckily the AP system has extensive logging  capabilties so i
can provide you with 3 logs - the wpa_supplicant trying to connect, the same
connection seen from the AP and a succesful connection from WinXP as seen
from the AP. We hope to get this working as we have a few hundred IBM
thinkpad notebooks that will need to work with wpa secured wireless under
linux.

My attempt at analyzing this data - something goes wrong pretty early, the
linux client never gets the AP to do a radius request. The SSL errors in the
WPA-supplicant log are probably an indication. EAPOL errors also appear here
and there. There is also a difference between the WinXP intel associate and
the Linux intel associate ... the first says "associated RSN id" and the
latter says "associated WPA id".
I already submitted this to IPW2200 list, and they told me it's a
wpa_supplicant problem.

Kind regards
Rob Vandermeulen

some more info : kernel 2.6.12 (ipw drivers with the multicast patch),
non-encrypted & WEP WLAN work perfectly - please note : company name in the
logs has been altered afterwards by me.