questions about WPA-PSK and EAP-PSK

Manoj Verma, Noida manojv at hcltech.com
Fri Jan 28 04:49:29 EST 2005

See comments below..

There are two types of Infrastructure BSS:
1. Enterprise mode: This is the place where 802.1x authentication is used.
Through 802.1x only the PMK is obtained which are used for derivation of
(PTK) - EPAOL and temporal keys. After this 4-way and Group h/s starts.

2. Personal mode: Here 802.1x is not used. Rather the Passphrase which we
set at the AP and Supplicant side, is used for the derivation of EPAOL and
temporal keys. After this 4-way and Group h/s starts which are nothing but
part of EAPOL protocol.

>    What's the difference between WPA-PSK and EAP-PSK? If I only try to
>WPA-PSK, Does I need to config EAP-PSK to include IEEE802.1x? (But in the
>README, which said that WPA-PSK mode does not require EAPOL/EAP
>implementation, I think need EAPOL-Key to support WPA 4-Way Handshake).

I think the above should answer this.
(Also I haven't heard of EAP-PSK).