best guess wrt firmware upgrade

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Tue Jan 25 22:16:01 EST 2005

On Tue, Jan 25, 2005 at 04:06:30PM -0700, Jim Cromie wrote:

> Im about to pull the trigger on a firmware upgrade, and was hoping
> for a sanity check b4 I put my card at risk. (via -i option)

If there is any doubt about the compatibility of the upgrade, I would
recommend that you would first try the RAM downloadable version of the
new firmware image. It does not change anything in the flash and
consequently, it is trivial to recover from possible problems.

>                if (nicid->platform == 0x8008 && nicid->major == 1 &&
>                    nicid->minor == 0 && nicid->variant == 1 &&
>                    p->platform == 0x8008 && p->major == 1 &&
>                    p->minor == 0 && p->variant == 0) {
>                        printf("Exact NICID was not found from the list of "
>                               "supported platforms, but an\nalternative
> that "
>                               "has been reported to work was found.\n");
>                        return 1;
>                }
>        }

> Also, since this only handles 1 case, I infer that the official list of
> supported platforms
> is embedded in the firmware, and is checked elsewhere in prism2_srec code.
> Is that correct ?

Yes, that is correct; or to be more exact, it is included in the
firmware upgrade file, not in the firmware data itself.

> Jouni, is this 1 success report or multiples ?

It has been a long time since I wrote that, i.e., I don't really
remember. I think I have one of those cards, so I would assume I
tested it myself. Anyway, running a test with RAM download is always a
good idea.