Channel in monitor mode

Harnish Bradley J Civ AFRL/IFGB Bradley.Harnish at rl.af.mil
Mon Jan 24 05:45:28 EST 2005

Hello,
I am trying to use monitor mode to gather statistics
based on the channel or frequency on which each wlan
frame was received. Unfortunately for me, the
linux_wlan_ng_cap_hdr only gives the local->channel
cnfOwnChannel set by iwconfig command), the
linux_wlan_ng_prism_hdr sets its hdr->channel to 0,
and the hf384x_rx_frame struct has no channel info.

The Prism2 docs I've seen show static channel info
(current channel, allowed channel lists, etc.) The
only dynamic channel info I saw in the Prism docs
was the channel scan bit map (ChannelInfoRequest/Result).

It seems like the information about the channel on which
a frame was received would be in the card somewhere
either directly or indirectly. The question is, can it be
acquired and then correlated with the receive frame event?

Does anyone know if it is possible (and how) to get that
for each frame?

Thanks,
Brad