Writing a driver for Prism2.5/3 USB (802.11 hostap)

Chris Rankin rankincj at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 15 13:51:54 EST 2005

 --- Jouni Malinen <jkmaline at cc.hut.fi> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 09, 2005 at 03:22:22PM +0000, Chris
> Rankin wrote:

> Are USB devices based on Prism2.5/3 still easily
> available? Are they expected to remain available in
> the future?

Well mine certainly aren't going anywhere, and a lot
of people seem to be in a similar boat ;-). But even
if the Prism2.5/3 adapters all bite the dust, there
are still the AtMel USB adapters that will need
drivers. In fact, I think it's fairly safe to say that
there will always be 802.11(x) USB adapters of some
form or another.

> > Can anyone help me integrate this code with the
> > new 802.11 stack, please;
>
> What do you mean with "the new 802.11 stack"?

I mean the hostap 802.11 stack that is being
integrated into Linux 2.6. Ideally, I'd like to
identify which parts of hostap need to reimplemented
in terms of USB hardware. The hostap_hw.c file looks
like a good starting point, except that I'll need some
of that because it's relevant to Prism chips.

Cheers,
Chris